Using recreational or medical cannabis

Recreational cannabis

Beginning October 17, it will be legal for adults 19 years of age or older to possess, grow at home, and consume cannabis in Ontario. Some limits still apply.


Adults 19 years of age or older may possess up to 30 grams of cannabis, in any combination of dried plants, oils, tinctures or edible products. Youth under 19 years of age may not possess cannabis without medical authorization.

Buying, selling and sharing

Beginning October 17, adults 19 years of age or older may only legally purchase recreational cannabis online through the Ontario Cannabis Store (link is external) website. In Ontario, selling or sharing cannabis with someone who is under 19 years of age is strictly prohibited. Social sharing, or “passing a joint,” is permitted between persons 19 years of age or older unless the person receiving the cannabis is intoxicated.

The Province of Ontario has determined that it will permit the sale of cannabis from retail stores beginning in April 2019.

Places of use

In Ontario, cannabis may be consumed anywhere tobacco products can be consumed, but not in motor vehicles and boats. Some of the places where smoking cannabis and tobacco are prohibited are:

In Ottawa, smoking and vaping cannabis is not allowed:

  • On City property, such as City parks and beaches, arenas, recreational centres, pools, transit stations and buses
  • In enclosed public places, such as inside businesses, hospitals and restaurants
  • In enclosed workplaces
  • In common areas of apartment buildings, condominiums, and college and university residences, such as hallways, elevators, laundry rooms and entertainment rooms
  • At and near schools
  • On hospital grounds
  • At Child-care centres
  • In and near children’s playgrounds
  • On and near restaurant or bar patios
  • Landlords, condominium boards and co-operative housing boards may place additional restrictions on cannabis use.

Home cultivation

In Ontario, adults may grow up to four cannabis plants per household for personal use. Plants can be grown within your own home or yard. Seeds must be purchased from the Ontario Cannabis Store (link is external).

If you reside in a multi-unit residential building, a co-operative or a condominium, additional rules and restrictions might apply to home cultivation. Ask your landlord, co-operative board or condominium board about the rules that apply to your building.

Medical cannabis

As of October 17, access to cannabis for medical use will continue to be regulated by the Government of Canada (link is external) under separate rules than those governing recreational cannabis.

Buying, selling and sharing

Buying and selling cannabis for medical use is only permitted under federal regulations (link is external).

Individuals who have authorization from their health care practitioner can access cannabis in the following ways:

  • Continue to access federally-controlled cannabis by registering with licensed producers
  • Register with Health Canada to produce a limited amount for their own medical purposes
  • Designate someone else to produce it for them
  • Retail stores, or dispensaries, selling cannabis are illegal and not authorized to sell cannabis for either medical or recreational uses. The products offered in these operations are not
  • regulated. Illegal storefront distribution and sale of cannabis in Canada are subject to law enforcement action.

Cannabis for medical use is a controlled substance. Any individual who is authorized to use cannabis for medical use is not permitted to sell, share or give his/her cannabis to another person.


The possession limit for medical cannabis is the lesser of:

  • A 30-day supply of the authorized amount
  • 150 grams of dried marijuana
  • The equivalent amount if in another form
  • Places of use

In Ottawa, cannabis used for medical purposes will have the same restrictions as tobacco. It is prohibited to smoke medical cannabis in the following places:

  • City property, such as parks, arenas, recreational centres, libraries, pools, transit stations, buses and trains
  • Enclosed public places, such as inside businesses, hospitals, restaurants and apartment building hallways
  • Enclosed workplaces
  • Common areas of buildings, such as hallways, laundry rooms and entertainment rooms
  • Schools, including colleges and universities
  • Hospital grounds near child care centres restaurant or bar patios
  • Near child care centres
  • Restaurants, bars and patios
  • Home cultivation
  • Aside from ordering medical cannabis from a licensed producer, you may also receive a license from Health Canada (link is external) to grow your own cannabis for personal medical use, or designate someone else to grow it on your behalf.